History of La Salle College
In 1902 St Brigid’s School was established by the Mercy Sisters to offer a Catholic education within the township of Midland Junction.
The school catered for boys to Year 7 and girls to Year 10. The need for a boys’ secondary school in the region was recognised and in 1953 Archbishop Prendiville, approved the construction of a boys’ school on land at Middle Swan. Coordinated by the Parish Priest of Midland, Fr Thomas Pearson OFM, the surrounding parishes contributed to the cost of building the new school.
The Archbishop negotiated with the De La Salle Brothers to provide three Brothers to staff the new College. On 25 January 1954, Brothers Columban, Gregory and Matthias arrived from Sydney to start the new school year. The initial enrolment was 61 students, all boys, from Years 4 to 10. The new school was called De La Salle College, Midland Junction.
The early years were characterised by physical and financial hardship, as Government funding was virtually non-existent. Faced with declining vocations, the Brothers returned to the Eastern States at the end of 1971. A College Board of Management was appointed by the Archbishop and Brother Fitzhardinge, a Christian Brother, was appointed Headmaster. The name of the school was changed to La Salle College. In 1973 the girls from St Brigid’s Convent were relocated to the College resulting in La Salle becoming one of the first co-educational schools within Catholic education in WA.
From humble beginnings of 61 students in 1954, the College has grown to accommodate over 1400 students, supported by a staff of nearly 200. Our links with the De La Salle Brothers continues to be strong, evidenced by the appointment of a De La Salle Brother, Tony Cummins, to the College Board in 2013.